The Studio will be closed this weekend (Saturday the 17th of June) please don't try to come in through the door as we have it boobytrapped. This is your only notice.
For this dinner I took a cue form Beyoncé and decided not to release a menu until the day of the event. I really wanted it to be a surprise for people who had seen the film as well as surprise the people who had put their faith in my ability to interpret something so visually stunning as the film into something the would be eating. Unlike many of Miyazaki's films, Princess Mononoke had very little to show for as far as food goes. So many of these dishes were conceptual and required me to interpret my own dishes from mood and imagery. It wasn't easy but I enjoyed the challenge immensely. Finally, almost a full week after the diner has been completed here is the menu.
1. Home of the Kodama : Edible stones on edible dirt with a whipped garlic scape pesto, served with a Kodama figurine.
2. The Ball of Iron: Black rice Arancini, cooked with Jinhua ham, enveloping some hot melted mozzarella.
3. The Traveler and the Monk Share a Meal: Morell Congee.
4. Lord Ottoko: Master Stock Braised Pork Belly, served with White Bone Broth and Faht Choi (Mongolian hair moss).
5. Home of the Forest Spirit: White Mushroom Broth, Lions Mane Mushroom, Edible Flowers.
6. Yakul: Elk on Kohlrabi and Celery Root Purée
7. Blood of the Night Walker: Black Garlic and Cacao Ice Cream
Here are some photos of the dinner!
Home of the Kodama
The Ball of Iron
Home of the Forest Spirit
Thank you to everyone who came! Stay tuned for more dinner announcements!
The studio will be closed Saturday the 28th and February the 4th. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled program on the 11th!
For this dinner I wanted to create menu that is reminiscent of a walk through a winter forest. So think the aromas of pine, earth, and light hints of smoke. While the previous dinner was just a clustermess of pure decadence and excess this one is much more subdued. I'm focusing leaving diners full but absolutely energized and refreshed; ready to take on the rest of the evening or maybe just drink a little more than usual.
The pre-order store is back online! Hope to see you guys next week!
The online store is closed this week because of a dinner that's happening the night before. I can't prep those pre-order dishes while serving up 10 courses to each person on Friday night! Don't worry though, there will be special surprises on Saturday!